Tuesday 29 September 2015

Caroline Forbes Inspired Evening Makeup






Some time ago I was introduced to the show The Vampire Diaries by my chum Emily, (how can I ever repay you?!) It's incredible. So incredible, in fact, that I purchased the box-set; and I don't go around buying box-sets willy-nilly, it has to be a darn good show for it to have a home on my dvd shelf. I'm also not ashamed to say I have re-watched it many times, it's one of those shows that's just as good the second and third time round.
One of my favourites from the show is Caroline Forbes, she's amazing; in character, and in makeup. Her makeup is actually stunning though. To be honest, all of the makeup on that show is to die for. But a particular smoky eye of Caroline's caught my eye. I thought it would be perfect for an evening meal I'm going on this week. (To the one and only Wagamamas, eek!) So this is how I recreated it.


The Giorgio Armani Light Master Makeup Primer is a good'n for giving your skin a lovely dewy glow, as well as making your makeup last, so I smoothed that all over my face.
For foundation I went for the L'oreal True Match. This is fairly new to my drawers, so I'm still forming an opinion on it. But it's buildable and doesn't stick too badly to dry patches, so it's looking good so far!
Then due to my skin deciding to break out like crazy this morning, I took the MAC Studio Finish Concealer on a mac 286 brush, and covered, essentially, my entire face. For a change, I've quite liked applying it using this duo fibre brush because it helps to prevent the concealer from looking too heavy, which it can be prone to doing.
To brighten my under-eyes I also blended Collection Illuminating Touch Concealer with the 286, and blended any excess along the high points of my face.
To set everything in place, I dusted my trusty Bourjouis Healthy Balance Powder onto my t-zone and the areas I concealed. It probably won't come as a surprise to hear that I managed to smash it yesterday evening, I genuinely feel like I'm cursed into smashing every powder I own!

 To add shape and colour back to my face, I cracked out my old fave, the Giorgio Armani Fluid Sheer 10. I lightly bronzed up my skin and sculpted my jaw and cheekbones. I don't use this as often as I should because it does take longer to apply than a simple powder bronzer, but it is completely worth the effort, it always looks beautiful on the skin.
I set that into place with a dusting of Nars Laguna Bronzer, then I moved onto blush.
I used a combination of two, the first being the Bobbi Brown Blush Pretty Powerful II. Which, I'd just like to mention, is an awesome creme blush. It's so easily blendable, and it can go from 'naturally flushed' to straight up 'embarrassed as heck', depending on how you want to apply it. For this, it's more of a natural look, so only a light touch on the apples of my cheeks and blended along the cheekbone. For the second blush, I swept a bit of the Sleek Blush Rose Gold over the top.
To finish off the face, I blended the Benefit High beam Highlighter along the tops of my cheek bones to give a subtle glow.

On to brows. I've recently switched up my eyebrow routine, I now start with the Rimmel Brow This Way Gel and then give them some shape by filling them in with MAC Mystery Eyeshadow. I find using this method makes doing my brows so much quicker, but I can't quite put my finger on how?

Once I did that, it was time to prime my eyes. I patted the MAC Soft Ochre Pro Longwear Paint Pot over my eyelid, then used Vanilla Nuts from the Laura Mercier Eye Art Artist Palette over the top to set it into place.
For the actual lid colour I packed MAC All That Glitters onto my eyelid and mixed Sparkling Dew and Vanilla Nuts from the Laura Mercier palette over the top. I then blended MAC Mystery through the crease, bringing it two thirds of the way into my eyelid, before blending it from the outer corner into my top lash line. To add intensity, I did the same with Laura Mercier Espresso Bean but focused the colour, only blending it a little to make it look really defined. I also applied this along my entire bottom lash line.
Next, I applied a thin line of Maybelline Black Gel Eyeliner along my whole upper lash line, smudging it slightly with Naked 2 Blackout to make it a little softer. I actually used the same black eyeshadow through the crease and on the lower lash line to make it even more smokey.
Not forgetting mascara, I applied the Rimmel Wonderfull Mascara to my top and bottom eyelashes. I literally opened this today, so had no idea what it was going to be like, turns out it's not too shabby!
For more umph, I placed a selection of individual eyelashes along my lash line. I put four short lashes ranging from the middle of eye to the outer corner then added around two or three medium lashes on the outer third of my lash line.
I then went back over my gel liner to make sure no glue could be seen, because even though it says it dries clear, I swear sometimes it's still noticable.
For finishing touches I patted Laura Mercier Vanilla Nuts onto my brow bone and to the inner corner of my eyes for a natural highlight.

Lips-wise I applied Mac Mystical Lipstick onto my lips first, then used Laura Mercier Cinn-Ful Lip Parfait over the top to pink things up a bit. Before finally adding a touch of gloss with the Sephora 09 Volume Booster Gloss Serum.

I love this look, I barely do smokey eyes, so wearing this out is going to be so much fun. Now I just have to decide between the Chicken Ramen or the Yaki Soba...

4 comments:

  1. Your eyes look incredible! I am going to give it ago tomorrow, you look stunning!

    love, lissyhayes.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so much! You should! It's one of my favourite makeup looks. x

      Delete
  2. You look absolutely stunning. I will definitely be trying to replicate this look x

    www.pintsizedbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thankyou!! Hope you have fun doing it :) x

      Delete